Thursday, March 17, 2011

diy felt flower

I found this image online and thought I would give it a try! I was looking for a felt flower in yellow but couldn't seem to find one. Here is my take on how to make a felt flower!




1. Buy a 1/2 meter of felt. (around $5)

2. Cut flower like shape(as seen below) I did not use a pattern I cut out each flower individually... try to make them similar.


  • 4 x bottom layer flower 12" wide
  • 5 x middle layer flower 8" wide
  • 4 x top layer flower 6 " wide
  • 3 x center layer flower 4" wide


3. Fold flower in half and then half again. Try and make folds random so not all the petals look the same. Now tack the petal together once in place(one or two places) so the petal keeps its shape.





4. Layer petals upon petals, start by making the bottom layer and by building up on that. Attach flower petals to one another as you go by hand stitching together (or pin together and do all at the end)



It will start to look like this :)





5. Once the petals are all in place, secure by hand stitching all the petals together in places you will not see hand stitching. Lift up your flower to make sure its all stitched together....




6. Place on pillow case by hand stitching and.... you have your very own felt flower pillow!!

2 comments:

  1. I could of used this tutorial about a year ago when i bought my blue pillows with yellows felt flowers! Good job, it looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candace you are so creative and talented! I love reading your blog! This pillow is beautiful!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete